Q. How do I open a Refworks account?
RefWorks will make your research and paper writing process much easier. Here's how to get started.
Use Internet Explorer as your browser and allow for pop-ups and display blocked content. You can use different browsers once the account is created.
To open a RefWorks account in RefWorks:
1. Go to the Library's homepage at www.sph.uth.tmc.edu/library
2. Click on the dropdown menu under Selected Databases and choose
RefWorks (on & off campus). You can also access RefWorks from the
Online Databases. RefWorks will open in a new window.
Note: If you don't see the University of Texas School of Public Health in the
login window, click on Login Using Your Group Code. The Group code can be
found at: http://tinyurl.com/5s87ws
3. You will see a security certificate error. This is because the security certificate
is being read as www.refworks.com.www5.sph.uth.tmc.edu when you log in
through the proxy server. It is safe to use RefWorks through the SPH Library.
Click Continue to this website to continue to RefWorks.
4. A blocked content message will appear at the top or bottom of your screen
(depending on your browser). Accept the exception or click Diplay Blocked
Content. This is needed to display a one time authentication code RefWorks
uses for all new registrants.
5. Sign up for a New account to create your own account (this is not
linked to your UTHSC username and password).
6. There are two steps to completing the form.
7. Step 1
· Email Address/Re-enter Email Address: While you may use an email
address from Hotmail, gmail, or Yahoo, we prefer you use your official
· Login Name: RefWorks will set your username to your email address. You
can modify this if you want; just use a login name that is easy for you to
· Create a password
· Keep your password simple— don’t use your UTHSC-H password as it
changes every 90 days.
· Consider using the password from your OvidSP account if you have one.
8. Step 2
· Enter a name you would like RefWorks to use.
· Select your area of focus and type of user.
· Enter the unique one-time RefWorks authentication code.
· Click Create Account.
If you do not see a re-captcha security question (scrambled words) you will not be able to create an account!